Sunday, July 8, 2012

Module 6: Instructional Challenge


Next year, you will be teaching in a school where the vast majority of students did not meet standard on your state's criterion-referenced test and where more than 75% of the students are eligible for free and reduced-price meals. What are some specific universal literacy strategies you may implement to ensure students success? Include both in-class examples and things you could do outside the classroom.

Coincidentally, the description mentioned above is very similar to my current teaching situation. 95% of my school receives free or reduced breakfast and lunch; therefore, I am very familiar with how we as a school, currently handle this type of learning environment. I just completed my first year teaching, and next year I know will be very different as my reading philosophy has changed for the better. Next year, I plan to implement writing and reading workshop to their fullest. Having a structured and predictable schedule, especially for reading and writing, are important in successful instruction.
Implementing a comprehensive literacy program is very important for the success of these students. I plan to use guided reading groups in the form of ‘reading’ groups, but also to review skills. For many of these students, absence of books and a love for reading are not found in their homes.  As a teacher, it is my job to be excited and encourage a love and passion for reading and writing. Through sustained reading and writing, I will conference with students daily, complementing and recognizing their hard work and efforts. I have found that in my school, many of the student’s self-esteem is just demolished due to past years of failure and ‘let-downs’. Constant reminders that their hard work is not going unnoticed are important for these students.
Last year, I found myself offering tutoring to those students who truly needed prolonged small group math instruction (I will definitely offer reading tutoring as well next year). I would start my mornings with 5-6 students at 6:30, two days a week. I found that just this extra time truly helped these students feel caught up during regular math instruction. In addition, I stayed in constant communication with parents emphasizing the importance of nightly reading and completion of homework. The biggest changes I plan to implement next year are student choice through reading and writing and ample time for sustained reading and writing. With these changes, I hope to instill in the students who come through my door, a desire and aspiration to learn and grow as life-long learners and readers. 

4 comments:

  1. Katie,
    My teaching philosophy has also changed throughout this semester, so teaching this upcoming year is going to be very different trying to implement all we have learned. It is important to start preparing for a comprehensive literacy program now to ensure that you have all you think you will need in order to meet the needs of your students. But, by you having a year of experience this may come a little easier.

    I love that you gave your extra time to the students in order to help them with math! I think it is a great idea to do the same with reading because that would be a great time if simply for extra reading time but also for individual conferences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,
    You’re so right, I completely forgot to mention tutoring. That is an outside the classroom strategy that I would also implement. I also teach in a Title 1 school although I’m in a small group classroom and my students’ needs are quite individualized. Their reading instruction is based on developmental level and IEP goals and objectives. I will be implementing more of a comprehensive literacy approach than I have in the past. We have always done shared and guided reading and utilized many other strategies regarding literacy instruction, however this year we will be increasing shared writing, think alouds, and modeling of writing reading logs so that maybe after lots of modeling, they will be able to respond to texts independently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,
    I like how you mentioned the importance of a structured and predictable schedule. I think with certain types of students, routine is key in help making their learning successful. When there are planned reading and writing times, the students know when it is time to focus and learn. This provides a consistency most children appreciate. I also like how you mentioned building up their self-esteem. My internship was in a Title One school and I wish I could have had more time to conference with every student daily like you suggest because the encouragement and building of confidence are key aspects in helping those students improve and grow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,

    I believe structure and predictability in a classroom schedule is very important. Students rely heavily that they know what is going to happen each day, and that creates a comfort within the classroom and school. I am glad you are seeing how important it is to teach children to love, even if they do not have the parental support or means at home. I believe teachers can be very powerful in that way. That is very inspiring that you offered tutoring out of your busy schedule to help students in need. It is teachers like you that we need to look up to! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete