Thursday, August 23, 2012

Module 1: Watch & Learn: Assessing Reading Skills Review


               From watching this video (Watch & Learn: Assessing Reading Skills Review) regarding Becca’s reading deficiencies, I was able to gain a better understanding about the importance of assessing students.  I think I am guilty of ‘labeling’ a student as less proficient, and moving on. I work with that student(s) on comprehension on a thorough and consistent basis, as fifth grade is a big year for being able to “read and understand”.  This video helped me see the importance of assessing students in all areas, such as phonics, fluency, comprehension etc. It is important as the teacher, to know what aspect of reading is slowing down the reader, not just saying they are a struggling reader.  By being able to pinpoint the direct issue, teachers will be able to differentiate instruction on a higher level, and ensure the needs of that student are met. I also found the comment regarding IQ very informative, as an IQ level is not an indicator of a student’s reading abilities. Like Becca, her IQ was high, where her math excelled but her reading struggled. I cannot tell you how many times I have heard IQ used to determine a student’s academic abilities. As a fifth grade teacher, it is my job to ensure that my struggling readers have not given up on reading. Many students do so, as their reading deficits become emotional over the years, instead of solely academics. By the time students reach fifth grade, they have a good idea of what “type” of reader they are. For example, they have been placed in particular groups, pulled out for extra support, or even made fun of by peers. I must ensure that the desire and confidence are instilled in the struggling readers I work with in the years to come.   

No comments:

Post a Comment