Monday, September 10, 2012

Module 2: Video Analysis


                As I have already completed my tutorial session #1, I was thankful to see this video as a source of confirmation and reassurance. As seen in the video, the teacher/instructor began the tutoring session getting to know their student personally as a reader. It is important to show your student(s) that you care about them and desire to know them inside and out. By taking the time to get to know your student, you gain understanding on how your student views reading and their concerns. Their concerns and frustrations with reading can shed light on underlying problems affecting their reading abilities. The girl in this video voiced her concerns about reading, as did my tutee. I really liked how the teacher was reassuring and gave the student confidence, especially in a subject that causes so much anxiety and frustration. For example, the teacher told the student to say the word lists at a speed that was most comfortable for them. In my first tutorial session, I administered the third and fourth level word lists, in which I now think my student felt was a “timed test”. There were points where I had to tell him to slow down or repeat a few words so I could catch up. I really enjoyed using the QRI5, as it gives me another type of reading assessment to use besides DRA2s that Cobb County requires us to use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment