Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Module 2 Summary


Module 2 Summary

Videos
In the differentiated instruction video, I really liked how it helped us identify what specific students need and would truly benefit from differentiated instruction (all). Personally, I need to work more on creating challenging and extending activities for my high flyers. I love the idea of differentiation being flexible. To me, many of my ideas of differentiation do not occur or surface until the middle of the lesson. The use of choice boards or menus is something that I have always really liked. My struggle with choice boards is that I want to make some that are so generic, that I do not have to create a new one for every unit and/or topic. Also, some teachers use this tool as an incentive for early finishers, which is not fair. What happens to those students who never finish early? It is also important to keep the standards in mind when creating differentiated activities, to ensure the activity assesses the skill at hand. Often times, we think that more is a way of challenging our students, but I feel that it should be more based on the depth of knowledge that is being required to complete a specific assignment. Differentiation can be challenging and overwhelming at times, but I am always looking for ways challenge, maintain and reteach my students.
In The Story of Differentiation, I really liked how the term flexible grouping was brought up. I constantly find myself using the same groups. I do not have set groups for math or reading, nor have I even created groups this school year. I find it easier and more beneficial to use this method of flexible grouping. It is also important for us to use more of a flexible grouping method to ensure our students are not always in the same group, as they begin to make generalizations about how “low” or “behind” they must be. It is important to pull your high students as well, as many times they are forgotten about because they do not need any extra help or support.
PowerPoints
It is important that when planning a strategic reading lesson plan, that it is teacher-directed. As a fifth grade teacher, I appreciate the approach that this plan takes where groups should be planned with pre-set goals. For fifth grade students, we are focusing on reading to learn (comprehension). Although teacher instruction and explanation of the context is important, I also think that literature circles have a great impact on students to become independent, self-sustained readers.
When developing any type of lesson, regardless the subject, scaffolding and bloom’s taxonomy are a must to me. I believe that using the gradual release approach helps set up your students for success, thus allowing them to become independent readers. When using Bloom’s taxonomy, we strive to engage our students in in-depth conversations, thus having them use their Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS). I really like how the Bloom’s Taxonomy wheel helps us identify key words to use when creating discussion and comprehension questions. With Common Core, I have found that many of the questions asked or suggested are thorough, causing the students to pull from background knowledge and engage in critical thinking. 

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    Differentiation is hard to grasp at times because it can look very different from subject to subject and task to task. Being flexible in our teaching and our grouping can help our students become more successful. Literature circles take time to establish but allow students to work with each other through the comprehension of a text. Sometimes one student gains a different meaning than another so allowing them the opportunity to share with one another will help build their understanding of a text. I agree that common core has tried to reach more into critical thinking and higher order thinking skills rather than just recalling what was read. Thanks for you insight on this module.

    ReplyDelete