Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Module 4 Summary



Literacy Across the Curriculum: I really enjoy looking at thematic units that focus on one topic, yet are discussed in a variety of subject. I find that thematic units are usually a win for students, as they enjoy learning about a particular topic in such depth. However, what I have found is that they are extremely time consuming to create. What I do feel that I am getting more proficient with is connecting my reading and writing with social studies. My students this year really enjoy reading picture books about social studies events and people that we have previously discussed.
RTI-I have had the opportunity to work with the RTI process a good but in the past 2 years. Being an EIP inclusion and reduced sized classroom teacher has given me several opportunities to identify students performing below grade level. I am thankful for the Tier process, as it gives students additional support that they truly need. One thing that I have personally learned about the tier process is that students who make the best candidates struggle in one academic area, typically math or reading. However, students who are general “slow learners” do not usually advance to a tier 4. The charts and pyramid in the RTI PowerPoint was such a great visual to see how the tier process builds and progresses throughout.  
Video-I did not grow up on the TV show Reading Rainbow. I think the song is catchy, thus inviting students to explore the concept of reading as anything can happen in a book. I think the song does a good job of showing students that in a book you can be anything you want to be.
Strategic Reading Instruction PPT: I really found the slide about the Reading Components and the Big Five eye-opening. When I looked at the chart I visualized the two stages of reading: learning to read, and reading to learn. I felt that these two categories connected with “Decoding” and “Comprehension.” As a 5th grade teacher, I have found that I tend to focus on the Comprehension stage verses the Decoding stage.
Webquest PPT: In my undergraduate courses, I had the opportunity to create a web quest. This is something I would like to get a refresher on. I find myself researching for pre-made webquests that tie into the standards and curriculum. Students enjoy webquests because it gives them time to research on the computers, and it is much like a scavenger hunt for them. This is something I would like to do more of.
Conquer the Code: Reading is such an important key to living in today’s world. I found that the following quote, “In today’s world, learning to read well is a key to the future success of our children. Not only is reading fluently and with comprehension by third grade a legislated priority, it is an ethical and professional imperative.” (Wolfe and Nevills, 2004) When teaching, I have found that students, who struggle in reading, virtually struggle in all academic areas. They do not know how to read text that connects to science, social studies, health etc., as well as decode mathematical word problems.

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    I too am enjoying learning about Thematic Units. I think this type of instruction is becoming more common, and I believe that it will yield greater benefits for the students. In particular, I like that students get to explore topics in greater detail. They are provided with an abundance of literature sources, projects, activities, investigations, etc. to learn more fully about their topic(s). In my experience, thematic units are much more efficient too. Teachers are able to fit in all of the content that they must teach according to the standards and often more. This would not occur as easily with a rigid schedule that consisted of specific time blocks for reading, math, science, etc. Another benefit to thematic teaching is that students are not limited to just "skimming the surface" of the topic being studied. For example, in a biography study students are not just recording biographical facts about a person. They might be participating in a WebQuest to explore more about the person's daily life through exposure to journals, books, maps, pictures, recordings, and other such artifacts. A WebQuest can expose students to reading, writing, math, science, and social studies concepts in fun, active, and meaningful ways.

    ReplyDelete