I think that with correct usage and balance, a comprehensive
literacy program can be helpful and beneficial meeting the needs of the ELL
students. By using read alouds, the students have the opportunity to hear
proficient reading including correct grammar and reading techniques that the
teacher models. I know that with read alouds, the reader is the only one with a
copy of the book. However, for this circumstance, I would venture to put the
book on the document camera. This will allow the ELL students to see the words
and sentences as they are being read, but also allow the teacher to point to
the text if they so choose. Very similar to read alouds, shared reading gives
the students the opportunity to hear
someone else model reading. As many schools are big on guided reading, this
time would allow the teacher to not necessarily focus on reading levels of
students, but more of skills that need developing. The teacher could pull a
small group of students according to a skill (including the ELL students and
those who are not as well), as to not single out the only ELL students in the
classroom. By working closely with these students, the teacher is able to gauge
what skills and reading strategies the students struggle with. Another
important component of the literacy program is sustained reading. Research has
shown how important this time of ‘student choice’ reading truly is. With
sustained reading (not always independent), students could partake in buddy
reading. In addition with reading, writing follows the same type of process
(modeling and guided). As these reading and writing are often simultaneously
taught, students will be able to apply and connect skills and strategies
learned to both concepts. Overall, I think the biggest underlying theme of all
the strategies I have mentioned to assist the ELL students is modeling.
Katie,
ReplyDeleteYour suggestions are in line with what I put in my reflection. Guided reading provides many opportunities for the teacher to address specific needs. Also, the students could benefit greatly from buddy and sustained reading. Like you said, the modeling provided during these activities is key to helping the ELLs become more proficient and fluent in their English oral reading. You mentioned putting the read aloud book on the document camera. I think this is a great idea so that the students can see the words that go along with what they are hearing. In primary grades "big books" could be used to serve the same purpose. The more opportunities that these students have to hear and practice reading, the more their reading skills will grow.
Katie, I agree that students who are ELL need to hear proficient readers. However, like you mentioned I would want the students to have a copy of the text to see and hear the words. I like how you thought to put the book on the document camera, I forgot all about that! Also, I thought a listening center would be helpful to those students. I agree that small groups would be beneficial to those students. The teacher could not only gauge their skills but also improve their needs as individuals during that time. Overall, these students will need numerous situations where a proficient (teacher or buddy) reads to them and with them.
ReplyDeleteKatie,
ReplyDeleteI also thought that the read aloud time would be an important time to model reading skills for the new ELL (and all) students. I love your idea of projecting the read aloud book on the document camera. In addition, I too thought that sustained reading with a buddy would be an excellent time for the ELL students to acquire skills through modeling. It sounds like we had many similar ideas as to what would be helpful for these students and their literacy development. I loved how you summed up your response by focusing on the importance of modeling.
Katie,
ReplyDeleteI put my strategies in the same order as you did. I think modeling is by far the most important thing for exposing ELL to new words. I would start with the new students just listening then have the text on the document camera for them to see it the second time with the ability to put the sounds with the words. Allowing these students to work with their peers to read is also really important. Not just having you model but allowing their peers to model for them as well should be a great way to transition them into their own reading. I teach all ELLs and haven't yet run into a newcomer coming into my classroom but it's not out of the realm of possibility so hearing ideas from you and others in our class has helped me feel better about if/when this might happen.
Katie, I too suggested that read alouds would be beneficial to the students, however, your suggestion of putting the text on a projection screen was great! This is a very interactive method of teaching in a large group that would really help the three ELL students. I also mentioned how I thought guided reading lessons would be valuable as well. Like you mentioned, this is a great technique for not singling out any student while still giving the teacher a chance to come by and observe those particular ELL students. In one of my placements, I had an ELL student and during partner reading, I would pair her with a stronger reading student. This helped tremendously because she was able to learn from that student, hearing the correct ways to pronounce certain words. It also built a close relationship between the two girls because they learned to enjoy helping each other and working together.
ReplyDelete