Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Module 4- PowerPoint Analysis



Identifying Reading Disabilities
                RTI is such a familiar tool at my school as it is in my very own classroom. I find myself using the Response to Intervention process yearly, as a few of my students are consistently performing below grade level. It is one thing to be a slow learner, but I become concerned when a student is not making grounds and failing all assignments with a grade below 40%. I find that many of my “low learners” are very capable, they just take additional time and support. This is completely fine ,and I tend to not put these students on RTI. This year alone, I have put 3 on RTI for academics, and 1 for behavior. These students are consistently making 0% and maybe a 20% on a good day in math. I find it interesting that ELL students are often labeled as a struggling reader. Well of course there is going to be a disconnect because it is in their second language. It makes perfect sense to assess an ELL student in their own language in order to identify if there truly is a reading deficiency. As a fifth grade teacher, we are in the stage of Reading to Learn. We do this daily as reading is woven into all subject areas.  Reading to learn is such an important concept for students to understand.

Assessment: Formative and Summative
                The comic at the beginning of the PowerPoint was too cute. However, many of our students think that simply showing up is “good enough”. Earning an education takes much more than just showing up. I do use my data to drive instruction; however, it takes extra work on the teacher to get the assessment checked for the next day’s instruction.
Wow! The meaning behind assessment really is eye opening and makes me wonder what we have done to the meaning of assessment these days. Today in schools, we give assessments to the students not with the students. I can see how formative assessment is more useful in planning and implementing instruction than summative. With summative, we simply record the grades and move on. This is because summative assessments are given at the end of the units. Formative assessments truly are key to planning forthcoming lessons. Even after you’ve taught a skill/standard, formative assessments let you know if you need to review or if you are ready to move on. There are times I still have to stop and ask myself what is the difference between formative and summative assessments. Through these PowerPoints, I have a better understanding of which one is use for specific purposes and will be better able to assess my students when the times come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment