Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Module 4: Video Analysis


Running Records
                I really enjoyed getting a mini lesson on how to mark a running record. I have not given a running record since undergrad. As I gave the QRI for tutoring this semester, and even when marking our DRA2s that we give at the beginning of each school year, I seem to make up my own marks (very similar to the video), that make sense to me. Because I have to write so quickly, I simply write little notes that indicate to me what the reader did. It was nice seeing how to truly mark these errors that students commonly make when reading. Two concerns I still have with this is knowing if the marks discussed in this video are universal, where I can use them on whatever reading assessment I am giving. Also, I tend to get behind making marks when the student is actually reading. I was able to follow along with the lady in the video, visualizing where I would put the marks. I feel more comfortable now giving a running record and cannot wait to actually try out what I learned. I think the more you give running records or any type of reading assessment where you the teacher must document the student’s errors, the more confident you will become.

Analysis with Running Records
                I absolutely love how the teacher took the time to talk about the goals with the student she was working with. It is important for students to know what skill they truly need to focus on and work to improve. This year in my classroom, I am using CAFÉ and the CAFÉ board for my reading groups. The CAFÉ board lists the student’s names under comprehension, expanding vocabulary, accuracy or fluency. In addition, my class is utilizing student data notebooks. These notebooks are updated weekly. The students created goals they wanted to set for reading, math and writing. Also in the video, I really liked how the teacher went back and discussed the student’s errors with him. Once going back and looking, he realized his mistakes and how many of his substitutions did not even make sense. For the reader to understand this is a huge step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment