Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Module 5: Video Analysis


Rubrics-An Introduction


I loved this video on rubrics. This year we are using rubrics for everything… it seems at least. I am using rubric generator websites to help create these. This year, my school is using/creating rubrics for every standard. I love using rubrics, as they are simple to use; however, at this point in time we have to create them. Like the video stated, generic rubrics are the best way to go. We are striving to create rubrics that are subject conducive, not just for one particular assignment. I like the purpose of rubrics, as it keeps us from being bias of student’s work. One piece of student work might sound and look better, but if a student covered all requirements, then they should earn the same amount of points when compared to someone else’s work that is more visually appealing. With Common Core, our Benchmark tests are no longer just multiple choice like they have been in the past. This year there are constructed and extended responses that come with a rubric the county provided. We are going to have to take the rubrics and score the student’s Benchmarks in which the county looks that. The purpose of these open ended questions is to get our students thinking more than just an simple A, B, C, or D answer. I LOVE this idea of creativity and truly seeing what the students know. Rubrics allow creativity and true understanding of a standard to come alive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment