Thursday, March 21, 2013

Module 5 Summary



Video: An Example of Effective Classroom Management
I find that students are often successful working independently and with partners when the task at hand is engaging, fun, but also obtainable. In the video, the students were on task and able to make progress. I like how one lady shared that it is important to not “over work” our students. As a teacher, we need to give them enough questions/prompts to either one, understand that they know the skill, or two, they need remediation. I also find that students work better in literacy centers when the activities are not worksheets but more so hands-on/manipulating review games.
Video: Using Literacy Centers to Strengthen Reading and Writing Instruction
As any guided math or reading instruction, whole group, small groups and one on one instruction are all necessary for successful instruction. I love the question posed dealing with what the rest of the class/students do while you, the teacher, is working with a small group or individual students. Students should be work in literacy centers, displaying what they have been learning and working on through various activities. It is never busy work, which should never be the goal of a successful teacher anyway. Aligned with the new Common Core, these activities completed through literacy centers should focus on reading, writing, speaking and listening.

Video: Designs for Balanced Literacy
I really liked how the teacher in this video arranged her classroom in groups to foster collaborative thinking and team building skills. I have done this more this year, and I am amazed at the difference in work ethics and abundance of depth conversations my students are having. In my classroom, much like this teacher, I allow my students to use supplies that they were not able to purchase openly and even “check out” books in my personal classroom library. I find that it is important for students to feel a sense of belonging-ness and self-worth in their “home away from home”. Structure is KEY. I love it. In addition, I love how she mentioned about collaborating with your team. This has been one of the best parts of being where I am. The 5th grade team welcomed me in last year, some had their doubts, but through our team work and support of one another, we are a strong and solid team.

Video: Space and Places
I NEED this book. This is so me and what I enjoy doing in my classroom. I am always rearranging my classroom, especially the student’s desks. I typically draw it out, like Spaces and Places described. Also, I would love to see what the book had to say about organizing your classroom, particularly at the end of the year or when having to pack everything up. This will definitely be a book I look into purchasing. 

1 comment:

  1. Katie,

    It sounds as though this was a module that both you and I enjoyed. My county is really pushing a teaching literacy through the balanced literacy model next year. Although I have employed many aspects of balanced literacy over my past three years teaching, I always find it beneficial to watch video examples and hear about how teachers have effectively employed it in their classrooms. I also enjoyed watching the video about the book "Spaces and Places." I like that she emphasizes not only placing classroom furniture systematically but also using wall space effectively.

    ReplyDelete