Thursday, November 8, 2012

Module 6: Videos



Flipping The Classroom
I have heard of flipping the classroom this year as a few of my classmates in the M.Ed program have discussed using it for their action research. I could only imagine what flipping the classroom truly meant, but I was way off. I really like the idea of flipping the classroom, but I do not know if it would be effective in my school area. Many of my students do not have computers or access to the internet at home. In addition, my students, along with the rest of the grade level, do not complete homework as a means of reviewing and creating questions for future discussion. A good handful of students either do not complete homework consistently or do not put thought into their assignments. I could see the efforts of a teacher flipping the classroom going to the wayside as not all students would watch the videos, thus not being prepared for class. I do love the idea, but not at this point in time in my teaching career. It was very informative as I now can carry on a conversation with a colleague about flipping the classroom.  

Using Assessment to Improve Instruction
“Good assessment is part of the learning process, not just a document to gauge learning.” I often feel that we are constantly testing our students that we are running out of time to actually teach for understanding. This video helped put assessment into perspective, where we can assess through projects and performance tasks, not just tests and quizzes. We should see all teaching as a form of assessment, even though students do not necessarily have a pencil and paper or standardized test on their desk.  Good teaching like the video stated, is assessing through teaching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment