Friday, November 23, 2012

Module 8: PowerPoint Analysis


Factors Involved in Reading and Writing Difficulties
                I absolutely loved viewing this PowerPoint as it brought to my attention the MANY different reasons and circumstances that might affect a child’s ability to read and/or write. The best part about this presentation was on slide 2. The elements of success are huge in my opinion because many students who have known nothing but failure tend to use that as a crutch (i.e. “well I have never been a good reader/writer”). Through this excuse, I feel that students do not put forth their best. The elements of success are effort, drive, a healthy self-esteem, and parental support. In the example I just gave- effort, drive, and healthy self-esteem are absent; three out of the four necessities to being a successful reader and writer. In order to break this cycle, we as teachers have to help them believe that they can be successful, one by giving them choices. By allowing children to read what they want, fosters opportunities for them to find and discover literature that they love and want to read.  Aside from all the other learning barriers mentioned and described, I truly believe that it comes down to the student’s desire to want to do better and an attitude that says “I can do it”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment