Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Module 7: Perspectives of the Learning Process


Perspectives of the Learning Process

v  Through my tutoring experience, I always began each session with a conversation, asking Tyler* how he has been keeping up with his reading. We would discuss what he has been doing well at and what he needs to work on. This would give us time to reflect on his behavior and how it is impacting his studies and academics. Tyler would always tell me he thinks he is doing “good,” which is what he would tell him mom as well. The issue with Tyler was/is lack of effort and motivation. Tyler in fact was not doing “good” as he claimed he was.
v  From a parent's aspect, Tyler’s mom is concerned about Tyler’s progress or lack of and is at a loss for what she should do next. Tyler’s mom is very busy with work, as she does not spend as much time with Tyler that is needed to keep up with his progress and deficits. She is very concerned though and knows he needs help. Tyler went to his doctor Friday, 11/16/12 to discuss his grades and attention. Hopefully we will get Tyler the help he needs and get him on the right track to excel from here on out. Tyler’s mom does not go over his homework with him as she gets home late from work. I rarely get back progress reports and papers that require a parent signature.
v  Tyler is reading on an early third grade level. As I teach at a Cobb County school, we are required to assess our student’s reading levels by using a program called DRA2. In fourth grade, Tyler did not perform very well. Tyler did not pass the math CRCT, scoring a 783 (Level 1); however, he barely passed reading with an 807. This is still very alarming and signals to me that this student needs additional support in reading. Through this reading process, I began to notice a speech issue with Tyler. Honestly I am not sure the exact letter sounds/combinations he has difficulty with, but street is one of the words that I know is not pronounced correctly. Tyler’s behavior is not up to par, as he tends to act out, trying to be our class clown. He looks to others for recognition when he acts up, trying to cause a disruption. Another issue I have with Tyler is the lack of effort he puts forward. Tyler does not think through his work when he actually does it. Motivation is a huge factor in whether or not Tyler is a successful student.  

*Tyler-name changed to protect identify of student 

No comments:

Post a Comment