Friday, November 23, 2012

Module 8: Video Analysis


What is Reading Recovery?
                We have the Reading Recovery program at my school, but it was not until after viewing this video that I had a general understanding of what it was, how it was ran, how students were picked etc. I remember getting my tour of the school last year and being told that there were rooms with two way mirrors. I now see what those are used for and just how effective they truly can be. Reading Recovery seems to be the ideal reading program that provides one on one support to struggling readers. Students who are below grade level need more than just small group instruction and to know that they are getting 30 minutes of reading support on a daily basis with a trained teacher is just great news. I found it intriguing how Reading Recovery teachers must go through an entire year of trainings and professional developments to be certified for this program. Last year I had a student (5th grade), who was able to exit Reading Recovery. She did not attend Reading Recovery like the video stated due to being in the upper grade levels, but she did receive additional support through other reading programs and support teachers. This student still did struggle some with her reading abilities and comprehension, but she had come a long way and met the criteria to be dismissed from the program.  

No comments:

Post a Comment