Friday, June 1, 2012

Initial Personal Model of the Theory of Reading


Katie Robinson
EDRD 7715
Dr. Ritchie
June 1, 2012
Personal Model of the Theory of Reading

                Because teaching reading does not have set formulas, or step by step directions like math, I sometimes question the quality of my reading instruction. I find myself using the Georgia Performance Standards (Common Core next year), unit outlines on Picasso, and my previous experiences from TOSS and student teaching to help guide my reading time. Reading is a key concept, as it determines one’s ability to be successful in all other subject areas. Reading is used across the curriculum as students read directions for all content areas, read math word problems, read about history’s conflicts and wars, read about electricity, read a piece writing they are composing, or simply reading  a book of interest. I have found that if a student cannot comprehend with accuracy, identify meaning of key vocabulary words, use context clues to determine meaning of a word and/or passage, then they tend to struggle academically across the board. Since reading is such a crucial and important part to our lives, I want to ensure that my students are receiving the best instruction possible.
                During my reading time, I typically start out with a mini-lesson aligning to the standard I am currently focusing on.  For my mini-lesson, we will sometimes watch a BrainPop video, use a Time For Kids article, look at an example of the standard in real-life text, use our Coach books to see how the standard is being used, identify and define key vocabulary, or write our own examples of the standard being used (i.e. similes, metaphors, idioms, cause and effect etc.). Once the standard has been introduced or reviewed, we will move into our guided rotations. I have the students divided into groups based on their reading levels. (With Common Core next year, I plan to also pull small groups based on their needs for specific standards.)  In my reading rotations, the students are pulled for small group, work on a reading comprehension passage while using  UNRAVEL, write on a given topic/prompt, and complete an assessment based on the current standard. This past year, for the majority of the guided rotation time, I had the students work independently due to behavioral problems and being off-task. However, this year, I want to instill a classroom environment in which collaborative grouping and thinking is done with most assignments. I believe and think students will learn more from each other by working together.
                At my school, we use a reading comprehension strategy called UNRAVEL. We require the students to use it. It does involve a few additional steps, but once the students complete UNRAVEL in its entirety and accurately, they love it and use it without having to be reminded. Students tend to really enjoy UNRAVEL because they see improvements in their comprehension grades, but furthermore, the passages and stories they read are beginning to make more logical sense. With UNRAVEL, the students are required to U: underline the title and make a prediction about the story based on the title, N: number the paragraphs, R: read the questions before reading the text, A: “are you circling important/key words?”, V:venture (read) through the passage, E:eliminate answers that are obviously wrong, L:Locate the answers and write the paragraph numbers next to the questions that are found in the text. With these seven steps, students have to go back and locate their answers. By doing this, it shows the students that they have found the right answer, verses recalling what they read from memory. I personally love UNRAVAL, as I have seen great improvements with my student’s comprehension abilities and confidence.
I am a very organized and structured teacher. With this being known, I am one to find a routine that works and stick to it. I hope with this class, I am able to venture out of my comfort zone and find other effective and enjoyable ways to teach reading. In addition, I hope to learn hand-on ways/activities for students to demonstrate their reading skills and possible ways to integrate reading with other subject areas. With this class and eventual reading endorsement, I hope to become a more diverse reading teacher and develop a firm belief and model about reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment