Katie Robinson
EDRD 7715/W02
Dr. Ritchie
June 11, 2012
Module 2: Reading Reflection
I
do not agree with the quote, as I am beginning to realize that reading is much
more than what is physically in a passage. Reading is not being ‘expected to read everything exactly as printed on the
page in order to understand the message of the author’ (Weaver, 2002) . For example, on
page 66, Jay, a good reader, made numerous miscues. Jay’s miscues however, did
not distort the meaning of the passage. Because most of Jay’s miscues fit the
context, he did not have difficulty trying to make meaning of what he read. I
personally think that reading is getting understanding from the page. When
looking at the referred example above, one can see that you do not have to read
the exact print to gain the author’s purpose behind the text.
I
found it interesting that a lot of times, it is the more fluent and proficient
readers making the most miscues. However, one must realize that their miscues
are not interfering with meaning. For example, the reader is possibility substituting
pronouns for words like the reading sample on page 72. Because many believe in
this ‘folklore’, such as teachers, I feel it is my job to expand my knowledge
from this class to ensure that this so called theory is broken. I want to instill in my students that reading
is much more than phonics, but that it is using semantic and syntactic cues.
Weaver, C. (2002). Reading Process and Practice.
Portsmouth: Heinemann.
I interpreted the quote a little bit differently. I thought that the authors were saying that too many people viewed reading as the ability to identify words as opposed to the ability to determine meaning from words. The use of the word "folklore" in the quote made me think that they did not agree with the practice of teaching reading as the ability to correctly identify all words on a page. As a result, I agreed with the authors that this is a problem. I agree with you that it is so much more important that readers find meaning in a passage than it is that they are able to identify all words correctly. It is my goal to instill this same interpretation of reading in my students.
ReplyDeleteLike Anne, I also interpreted the quote a little differently, but we all had the same understanding and beliefs. I think the people who wrote the quote were saying it is NOT all about decoding the text, and it is more about reading to comprehend. I think they were arguing another persons quote about how reading is simply decoding the words on a page. I also found it interesting that proficient readers did make many miscues, but the meaning was not lost. It is important for students to understand that reading does not mean "knowing the words", it is a lot more complex than that.
ReplyDeleteLike Katie, I also did not agree with the quote. I interpreted it as implying that in order to promote success in readers, the readers must know how to read every word on the page in the exact manner it is presented. I then decided that reading is a dynamic process. In order to make meaning from within a text, the reader must have a certain schema that pertains to the text. Each person has various schemas and contexts in which allow them to interpret the readings in a variety of ways. For example, we all interpreted the quote differently. I think this is important. If each student read exactly what was on the page and interpreted the same way, what would be the fun in reading? How would discussions evolve if we all comprehending in the same fashion?
ReplyDeleteI also, took from the quote that in order for students to be successful readers, teachers must "think outside the box". They must teach and guide reading instruction in ways that immerse our young readers with a variety of prints. We must teach not only good reading strategies, but also how to teach a love for reading. I believe a love for reading evolves from the meaning behind the text, and I do not believe phonics instruction alone can empower children to want to read.