Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Module 1: Activity 2


Katie Robinson
EDRD 7715/W02
Dr. Ritchie
June 6, 2012
Module 1: Activity 2
Page 39 #5

How is it that you are able to answer such questions?
At first, I was trying to put literal meaning behind this text. After no such luck, I began answering the questions straight from the text. I am assuming my answers are right because I simply found the questions in the text and finished the sentences according to what was already written.  Not what I would typically do for a reading passage and comprehension questions, but I still have no clue what this passage literally meant.

What does this experience suggest about the kinds of “comprehension” questions found in workbooks and on standardized tests?
This experience reinforced what I have already been seeing over the past year of teaching. Many students do NOT read for understanding. Instead, they simply go back into the text and find where the questions are mentioned. This does not always work because words in the questions are often found in multiple places in the text. Then you get to the problem of, which part of the passage am I suppose to look at? Another thing I have found is that students will look at the answer choices, and pick the answer they remember reading about. What I have found is that all the answers are typically mentioned somewhere in the text and it is up to the reader to know what the questions are specifically asking and what the text meant in regards to the questions. A strategy we use at my school called UNRAVEL, which spoke of in detail in my Personal Model for Reading on my blog. UNRAVEL helps the students to understand the passage verses picking answers based on looks and if it is simply found in the passage.

a.       What is corandic?
·         Corandic is an emuriet grof with many fribs.

b.      What does corandic grank from?
·         A corandic granks from corite.

c.       How do garkers excarp the tarances from the corite?
·         Garkers excarp by glarcking the corite and starping it in tranker-clarped strobs.

d.      What does the slorp finally frast?
·         The slorp finally frast a pragety, blinkant crankle: coranda.

e.       What is coranda?
·         A coranda is a cargurt, grinkling corandic and borigen.

f.       How is the corandic nacerated from the borigen?
·         The corandic is nacerated from the borigen by means of loracity.

g.      What do the garkers finally thrap?
·         The garkers finally thrap a glick, bracht, glupous grapant, corandic, which granks in many starps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment