Katie Robinson
EDRD 7715/W02
Dr. Ritchie
June 11, 2012
Module 2: Activities 1 & 2
Activity 1: Page
58 #3c
|
Words
|
Definitions Prior to A Clockwork
Orange
|
Definitions after reading A Clockwork Orange
|
|
creech
|
to
spy on another person
|
yell
or shout
|
|
droogs
|
to
be sad or lack expression
|
friend
|
|
glazzies
|
day
dreaming
|
|
|
goloss
|
shoes
|
|
|
malenky
|
disrespect
|
small
|
|
messel
|
small
or little
|
|
|
millicents
|
coins/change
|
police
|
|
poogly
|
describes
how a person looks
|
scared,
frightened
|
|
razrez
|
to
carry on a conversation
|
|
|
skorry
|
to
apologize
|
|
|
spatted
|
to
spit on someone
|
|
|
zoobies
|
friends
|
teeth
|
Prior
to reading Chapter 1 from A Clockwork
Orange, I had no understanding/meaning to apply to the list of words. The
only thing that came to mind was that these words are not real, that they were
simply mispronounced. I then began thinking of the original words that they
might have been. After reading the chapter, I realized that these words were
not made up and that they indeed did have meaning when used in the present
context. When I came across the words listed above in the chapter, I used the
context used around the word, including the sentence prior to and after the
mentioned one. I definitely used semantics when decoding the meaning of
the words.
Activity 2: Page 85; Exercise 7
1.
I
do not think people read the words letter by letter because they see bigger
chunks of sounds that they recognize. In the younger grades, once a student has
learned letter-sound relationships, students begin to chunk words into familiar
sounds. (i.e. compound words)
2.
I
used the strategy of chunking the words into syllables. I found this strategy
to be more efficient than by sounding out individual letter sounds. In the end,
you have fewer sounds to blend together, making the pronunciation of the word
easier to handle.
3.
Overall, I found myself chunking the words into
familiar sounds/chunks that I could pronounce. At times, it was hard to
recognize a familiar sound, in which I would ‘sample’ multiple letters at once.
I am sure, just like the book stated, I miscued.
4.
I
do not know the meaning of any of these words. The word extravasate makes me
think of the word extravagant. However, after looking at the pronunciation of
the word, it does not even sound like the word ‘extra.’
5.
Although
the pronunciation of the words is helpful, it did not give me insights on the
words or meanings.
6.
When
I am reading and come across an unfamiliar word, I find myself thinking of a
word that could fit in the ‘blank’ and still make sense. When I think of a
word, I take the meaning of that word and connect it back to the unfamiliar
word. As I stated before, I am big on semantics. I use context clues in the
passage to make meaning of unfamiliar text.
7.
This
example reinforced the true meaning behind reading (very similar to activity
1). Reading is not about isolated words. Reading is about the big picture and
understanding as a whole. This activity helped me realize that even though
individual words may not mean anything to the reader, once the words are put
into context, meaning comes to life. I appreciate this experiment, as well as
Activity 1, because I did not know the meaning of the words. I have a feeling
that if these words were put into context like Activity 1, I could define each
with purposeful meaning.
No comments:
Post a Comment