Monday, June 25, 2012

Module 4: Activity 1


Wow! What an inspirational video. I must admit, it brought tears to my eyes to see how much Robin struggled in the beginning of his reading journey. I could not imagine being his age and not being able to read. However, it is reality for many people. Many of ‘those’ people are sitting in our classrooms today. They know nothing but failure and possibly wonder ‘what’s the point’? Toward the beginning of the video, I could tell Robin was using context clues as he was reading. For example, he was able to use syntactics when he read, “I’ll give you some when it is ready”. He tried to say “I’ll gave you…,” but he knew that did not sound grammatically correct. Also, Robin used chunking to help him read. He was able to recognize parts of words such as ate, est, art to help him decipher entire words. It was neat to see him sound out congratulations simply by knowing the word ‘rat’ and ‘con’. This was such a wonderful testimony to teachers. It reminds us that even though our students struggle (in any content area), do not give up because there is hope out there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment