Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Module 3: Mock Memo from a Reading Specialist


Memorandum
To: Classroom Teacher
From: Katie Robinson
Date: June 19, 2012
Re: Comprehension Struggles 

I am glad you were able to identify this concern with your student. Often times, these ‘types’ of students are over looked because they are either reading on or above grade level. Teachers tend to assume that if students are reading at a grade appropriate level, then they are a proficient reader.
If you look in Weaver’s book, Reading Process and Practice, you will read that fluent readers are not necessarily proficient readers. For example, on page 215, the author suggests that fluent readers do not always comprehend what they are reading. Also, the text mentions that, “Fluent reading may actually mask a lack of attention to meaning. This sounds much like your student.
I think that since your student is paying so close attention to the text on the page, they are missing the underlying meaning. One thing that I would suggest is to have your student slow down. I find that the slower I read, verses breezing through a passage, the more I am forced to think about what I am actually reading. In addition, I would suggest pulling this student to read aloud to you. As the student is reading, stop periodically (ideally, after each paragraph) and check for understanding.  When you stop to discuss the text, have your student write one or two sentences about what happened in the text. It is wise to stop throughout; verse waiting till to end to find out your student did not retain the information (especially since you already know this student needs assistance with their comprehension). At this point in time, I am more concerned with discussing the text with the reader. I am not overly concerned at this point about comprehension questions, as the discussion throughout the text will in turn help with their general comprehension.
Always remind and encourage your student that they are a wonderful reader and even the best readers make mistakes. I hope I was able to assist with your instruction. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

5 comments:

  1. Katie,
    I agree that the students that read quickly are often assumed to be good readers. I have seen examples just like the one in this scenario in my own school. You are right that fluent readers are not necessarily proficient readers. Fluency is only one component of reading. A lot of children that I have worked with and their parents too, get fixated on that fluency rate number. They work and work to read faster and faster to have the highest fluency rate in the class. However, they are often surprised when they are not scoring as well as some of their peers in comprehension and vocabulary.
    I like the suggestions that you make regarding having the students slow down and taking opportunities throughout a reading to check for understanding. Follow up questions can be beneficial, but it is important to see that a student is inferring meaning throughout a reading selection. Sometimes the solution is as simple as telling the student to slow down and that this is not a race. Always emphasize to the students the importance of connecting with and gathering meaning from the text itself, as this is the main purpose in reading.
    Thanks for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie,
    I like your example from the Weaver text to back up your response to the teacher. That is very true that fluent readers may not necessarily be comprehending what they are reading. I agree with your idea to ask the student to slow down. I also recommended that the student should stop after each paragraph or page and determine the meaning of what they just read. I think being able to write and express what happens allows the student to really understand, and not just think they understand what they are reading. This allows for time to ask questions that may not necessarily be asked if she wasn't asked to stop and discuss what she read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie,
    I agree with you in that many students who are proficient readers but lack comprehension skills are often times overlooked. I found that after completing a case study with one of my students that although she was a proficient reader, she could not recall any details from the story. I too stated that the student was paying too much attention to the text on the page and that they were lacking reading strategies such as background information and content. You could also use the strategy of think-pair-share. This allows students to collaborate with one another while reading a text and share there insight into the story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,
    I felt the same way as you towards this teacher. I also made the suggestion about stopping the students to discuss and write down what they have read. I think bringing writing in to reading can help students concretly understand what is going on in their stories. It is most important that students who are fluent readers doesn't necessarily mean they are proficient readers. Comprehension of the text is what students main goal should be with reading. I liked the quote you pulled from Weaver's book. I think having students read on their own too then coming to discuss with you is a great way to teach students that they need to self check themselves while reading on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Katie,
    I agree that the students most likely need to slow down as reading efficiently does not mean that they are reading effectively. However, I disagree that the students need to read aloud. I would want them to read silently so they were not concentrating on their fluency and voice but had the time to read and think to themselves. I would also not have them stop frequently throughout the text as they will gain their meaning through context, interrupting their reading will not give them their opportunity to accept or reject meaning as they construct it. In my recommended strategies, I included administering the QRI-4 and forming new groups based on instructional level and their Retrospective Miscue Analysis. Then, I would incorporate the strategy you recommended and have the students write about what they read in reading journals; reflecting on and writing about what they read will build understanding.

    ReplyDelete